Tuesday, August 22, 2017

starting the semester

I guess this is my official back to school post. Though can you go back to something if you never fully left it? Technically, I had a week off between ending summer semester and starting fall semester this week, but not really.
Last semester was the first of D3 year and the first full semester with seeing patients. At the start, I was so focused on keeping my schedule full and earning all the points, but by the end, I was just waiting for the semester to end. That's horrible to say, I know, but it's also true. I desperately needed a break...an escape, though I can't truly say that I actually got away. Husband and I took off to Alaska (more on this to come), but on the rare times I had cell reception, I found myself replying to patient voicemails and answering school emails. So my "time off" wasn't really time off. I even ran into one of my faculty members during a layover in Denver. Almost 2,000 miles away from dental school and still encountering professors. Ha! So I've come to realize that there is no such thing as a true escape. But, you know what, I'm ok with that. Even though I'm constantly tired, constantly wishing I could have a normal life, this is a unique opportunity that I have to be here as a dental student. I do try to carve out as much time as possible for myself, but I'm ok with the fact that 98% of my time is dedicated to dental school. And while I'm a little overwhelmed with everything that needs to happen over the next few months, I'm looking forward to navigating this semester like a true girl boss and moving that much closer towards becoming a dentist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment